Below are a few tips & tricks which you might want to read through and review as you get started in your new field of Pastry Arts.
a.) Weights: measures mass of Ingredients, products; solids; liquids.
- US / Imperial: ounces (oz), pounds (Ibs)
- Metric: grams (g), kilograms (kg)
- Conversions:1 ounce = 28.4 grams
- 1 pound = 16 ounces = (16 x 28.4g) = 454 grams
- 1 kilogram = 1000 grams = (1000 / 454) = 2.2 pounds
b.) Volume: measures amount of space ingredient occupies; liquids; flour, sugar.
- US / Imperial: teaspoons (tsp), tablespoons (tbs), cups, fluid onces (fl.oz), quarts
- Metric: milliliters (ml), liters (L)
- Conversions:1 tsp = 5 ml
- 1 tbs = 3 tsp = 15 ml
- 1 fl.oz = 29.6 ml
- 1 cup = 8 fl.oz = (8 x 29.6 ml) = 237 ml (standard = 240 ml)
But of course it depends on the material measured, that’s why the margin of errors in scaling with cup measurements is potential to large
- 1 liter = 1000 ml
- 1 quart = 4 cups = (4 x 237) = 948 ml = 0.948 liter
- 1/4 cup = 4 tbs
- 1 quart = 2 pints
- 1 gallon = 4 quarts
c.) Temperature: measures heat.
- US: Fahrenheit (F)
- Metric: Celsius (C)
- C to F:F= (C x 1.8) + 32
- F to C:C= (F – 32) / 1.8
- Water freezes at 32F / 0C
- Water Boils at 212F / 100C